Currently, undocumented people in Amsterdam face institutional exclusion from the labour market, healthcare, education and housing. Consequently, young undocumented people, workers and the elderly find themselves in extremely difficult and vulnerable situations. In this program we aim to discuss the possibilities for the municipality of Amsterdam to improve the conditions and policies for undocumented people. We aim to collect action points for the Nieuw Amsterdam Akkoord of Pakhuis de Zwijger that is going to be send to political parties. We will use this document for an election campaign towards the municipal elections in March 2022. This program will both inform people about the current situation of undocumented people in Amsterdam and also a brainstorm session to collect policy recommendations.
Note: due to the corona measures, we will be live-streaming this program. In order to participate – ask questions, contribute in the chat and take part in the brainstorm groups during the second half of the program – please watch the program through ZOOM.
20:00-21:00 LIVECAST, panel talk and a speech about the current situation of undocumented people
21:00-22:00 Brainstorm in groups about policies that can improve the situation of the undocumented.
Topics for the brainstorm session:
1) Access to work & the labour market for undocumented people
2) Undocumented youth and access to education
3) Undocumented elderly & access to healthcare
4) Access to the digital world (e.g. the Corona app, Digi-d, a bank account)
5) Access to basic services (shelter, food, sanitary facilities)
6) Safety for undocumented women, children & families