A two day international symposium featuring talks, workshops, performances and parties that conquer the assumption that anything is too big to fail.
After Bitcoin forked, and remains in tatters, it is now blockchain technology that ignites visions of deregulated and decentralized organization, while it is simultaneously sanitized by commercial banks. Meanwhile the sharing and “service” economy lost its innocuous veneer and streaming services have failed and continue to fold the music industry. Despite the mutation of crowdfunding into crowdequity and platform co-operatives, artists and designers continue to struggle to financially support themselves. All the while the financial mediators of the previous centuries continue to drag themselves onward into global debt.
We are failing better, nonetheless. Workers’ unions are on the rise and numerous collectives are working together to collectively ensure their own wellbeing and build alternative models of social governance. The aspirations of grassroots organizations such as DiEM25, that promise to liberate social democracy from the stronghold of global finance, are gaining momentum across Europe. People’s parties such as Podemos and the Five Star Movement get closer to an electoral majority. This momentum has thrust radical economic alternatives onto center stage and some governments in Europe have begun experimenting with progressive policies such as a living working wage and a universal basic income.
MoneyLab #3 will assess the ambition of financial provocations that have ignited to establish a terrain of social and political reform, from decentralized networks to state governments. The rift we find ourselves in goes much further than ‘the banks’ and financial retaliation can be considered as more than attempts to fail better.
Thursday 1 December
- Session: Global Finance: Failing Better?
- Featuring Virginia Alvarez, Alex Foti, Renzo Martens & Cassie Thornton
- Session: When Art Mirrors Marx
- Featuring Tori Abernathy, Steyn Bergs, Max Haiven, Jeroen Van Loon & Dan Mihaltianu
- Workshop: A Counting for Language: How Can Accountants Save the World
- By Nick McGuigan, Thomas Kern & Frank Jan de Graaf
- Workshop: Role Play Your Way to Budgetary Blockchain Bliss
- By Ben Vickers & Ruth Catlow
- Workshop: Flexonomix District-Currency Game
- By Jens Martignoni, Panayotis Antoniadis & Ileana Apostol
- Session: Save The Last Dance
- Featuring Bindu de Knock, Henry Warwick & Koos Zwaan
- Fiscal Drag Live
- Featuring Fine Art Finance Lab, The Feminist Economics Department, Tori Abernathy, and University of the Phoenix
Friday 2 December
- Session: Co-operatives and the Commons
- Featuring Trebor Scholz, Sito Veracruz & Arthur Röing Baer
- Session: Big Pocket is Watching You!
- Featuring Austin Houldsworth, Nathalie Maréchal, Emily Rosamond & Brett Scott
- Workshop: Blockchain Governance
- By Richard Khol
- Workshop: Against Money!
- By Dmytri Kleiner & Baruch Gottlieb
- Workshop: Commons & Power Games
- By Dan Diojdescu
- Session: UBI: For One and for All?
- Featuring Tori Abernathy, Dmytri Kleiner, Johannes Ponader & Patrice Riemens
- Failing Better Afterparty
MoneyLab #3 Failing Better is supported by Amsterdam Creative Industries Network, Goethe Institut, Create-IT Applied Research, Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Stichting Democratie & Media, and Pauwhof Fonds