Caravan Next is a European collaboration of community theatre groups sharing their experiences and knowledge on how to creatively approach current social issues. Amsterdam based ZID Theater is the host for this project in March 2016. As part of their program we invite you to be part of the exchange during this episode of Buurtcommunities. Are you curious about international practices of community theatre from Morocco, Italy, Denmark and Serbia? Are you a theatremaker yourself or interested in making theatre to foster social participation? Come and participate in the 'golden exercises' of these community theatre groups from Amsterdam and abroad!
Met in dit programma onder anderen
Caravan Next encompasses 13 partners who are active in the European theater scene, enriched with up to 30 associated partners in and outside EU territory, who collaborate to exchange and improve their methods in ‘Social Community Theatre’. In their own country every partner plays an active role in the realm of artistic and cultural participation in order to stimulate individuals and communities to reflect on current social challenges.
In the first part of the evening we will connect our international guests with local community theatre makers to exchange experiences and knowledge. Teamed up in duos these community theaters will interview each other on their best practices and most successful methods of theatre making.
In the second part of the evening we will investigate these methods in practice by participating in the theatre groups’ “golden exercises”. Here the audience is invited to experience the different creative ways community theatre can come about. A great way to get inspired and learn new ways of community building!
Six theatre groups will share their experiences:
- Altamira Studio Teater is an international group of theatre creation and research, based in Holstebro (Denmark). It was founded in 2008 by the director Pierangelo Pompa and it has been working since 2010 in residence at Odin Teatret/Nordisk Teaterlaboratorium, producing performances and realising several local-based projects, in collaboration with different communities and institutions. The group has developed international pedagogical projects in the field of actor’s technique and dramaturgy, in collaboration with various international institutions, like academies and universities in China, Italy and Denmark.
- Project Objective Drama (POD) Teatar works on the independent scene for 16 years, and was founded by actress and ballet dancer Tatjana Pajovic. For years, POD Teatar develops cooperation with local municipalities in Belgrade, works continuously with children and young people in preschools, primary and secondary schools, developing and strengthening concept and idea of Drama in Education. The organization consists of people of different professional background, whose work is based on the research of Man and Society from an anthropological, philosophical, spiritual and social point of view. Main activities of POD Teatar are theatre productions, education of children and youth, as well as film production, as one of the products of projects.
- DAR Amsterdam is located in Larache, Morocco and has been collaborating with ZID Theater from 2012 onwards. Together they have realised multiple projects focused on the exchange of expertise, training and workshops for the children and youth of DAR Amsterdam. They also work together to develop their vision for the future of community art. In 2014 the partners of DAR Amsterdam were involved in the preparations of the ICAF -International Community Arts Festival in Rotterdam. In 2015 they collaborated and deepened their working methods together with ZID Theatre by co-producing and performing the play Van de Werelddaken on Tour in Marocco.
- Moving Arts Project is an artist collective in Amsterdam that aims to promote cultural participation, to develop talents and to strenghten neighborhood networks. Since 2010 they have started the community arts project HEIM in the Amsterdam East and Transvaal neighborhood. Together with the neighborhood they have created theatre performances, dance, music, and art exhibitions. HEIM has incorporated itself into the city, into living rooms, squares, streets, and other undiscovered spaces in the neighborhood. In the performance Alice in Transvaal HEIM collaborated with locals in the neighborhood to create new perspectives on the world around us.
- Theaterstraat is located in Amsterdam-Noord and brings artists, locals, cultural organizations, and art projects together to co-create projects. Working from a diverse set of perspectives Theaterstraat produces a wide variety of activities in which the location is a guiding principle for the form of the project where different actors in the neighborhood are brought together.
- ZID Theater connects art, culture and society by deploying creative talent as an engine for positive change. ZID Theater – Community Arts & Performance Centre is a cultural organisation based in the Kolenkit neighbourhood of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The company was founded and is headed by theatre makers Karolina Spaić and Sebo Bakker. ZID Theater has been operating as a professional theatre group performing multidisciplinary productions in both the Netherlands and abroad, since 1992. In the Balkans, the word ZID means ‘the wall’. To us it means: breaking through and tearing down the walls between people by means of theatre. ZID makes theatre productions together with residents and professionals and is active in the fields of community arts cultural participation and talent development. ZID operates from its home base in Amsterdam on the local, national and international level. Besides in the Netherlands, ZID has toured in Europe, South America, the United States and Morocco with performances and projects. In 2012, ZID received the ‘Appeltje van Oranje’ award, an annual award of the Oranje (Royal Dutch) Fund.